Site engineers are in charge of the design and project planning of buildings and structures. In short, they are responsible for the visual appearance of a building. As every site engineer would have gone through special professional training and cleared an exam, they can legally sign construction documents.
Since they will be working on crucial projects like the construction of dams, buildings, tunnels, subways, highways, etc, they have certain responsibilities to fulfil. When it comes to building construction, they will oversee the functionality and safety of the project. A site engineer cannot single-handedly manage bigger projects such as commercial buildings in Chennai, so they will require a team with a supervisor to manage.
What do they do basically?
Site engineers will use their education, skills to bring life to designs made by architects. They will also manage a large number of construction workers. Initially, they will check for the feasibility of the design submitted by the architect and plan accordingly by overseeing certain factors, such as:
- Environmental conditions
- Planning the construction
- Manage the construction workers
If a site engineer is working on top notch projects, for example, if she/he is working on luxury apartments in Chennai, final inspection reports have to be submitted. This should be done before the construction is complete in order to certify the structure as safe and label the construction as complete.
If you are wondering the key skills required for Site Engineers, here are the most prominent ones:
- Planning and organizing skills are the initial steps in their work.
- They must have strong math, technical, and science skills.
- They must have enough knowledge to handle people, products, and machinery.
- They must be good at team management and leadership.
- They should be able to cope up with work pressure.
- They should be able to easily mingle with workers and manage them.
- Budgeting skills are also very important for a site engineer.
- They must have a clear knowledge of the government and local municipal laws of a place.
- They should be able to meet crucial deadlines.
What does a typical day in a site engineer’s life look like?
From employer to employer, the job description of a site engineer will vary. However, there are some standard duties that need to be carried out by every site engineer.
- They should be the point of contact in case of technical advice.
- They should regularly analyze plans, quantities, and drawings of the site.
- They should also oversee the health and safety of the construction workers.
- Site Engineers should resolve technical queries on a regular basis.
- They should ensure that every work is carried out with utmost accuracy.
- They should coordinate with clients and representatives.
- They should also keep sub-contractors informed.
Although their working hours are typically 40 hours every week, in certain cases, like handling large numbers of plots for sale in Chennai, they will have to work for longer hours.
How important is the role of a site engineer in building construction?
Once the client contacts a site engineer, she/he will be called for a meeting. They will discuss the project requirements and budget. There might be more than one meeting and it depends on the scale of the project. If the size of the building is huge, it will be difficult for a single person and in such cases, more than one site engineer will work on the project.
Although people assume architects are just involved in the building design phase, they will continue to contribute in every stage of a project. When it comes to important projects like luxury apartments in Chennai, they will help to improve the energy efficiency of the building by maximizing ventilation and natural lighting.
For every project, the architect and site engineer will have several discussions to bring life to the ideas. After several meetings with all the team members, the project will be kickstarted. Here are some of the common topics that will be discussed during the project discussion.
- Expected budget
- Site characteristics
- Safety procedures
- Local body regulations
- Client requirements
Documentations and drawings:
Architects will design detailed drawings for the project and will be handed over to the site engineers. In most cases, the drawings will be made with BIM and CAD software. After several revisions, the final blueprint will guide the builders to deliver the requirements stated by the client. If the client is planning on building luxury apartments in Chennai, then the architect will have to work on the initial design in CAD software and discuss it with the site engineer to analyze its feasibility.
Once the construction begins, the site engineer has to fulfill his/her duties. They will have to resolve any potential issues that might occur. However, there might be some documentation process during the construction phase and it will require the signature of the site engineer.
Site engineers play a crucial role in building the world we live in. Today, we can witness numerous luxury apartments in Chennai and its preference over other types of residential buildings by the younger generation itself is the best example of their contributions. It is a lucrative and demanding job that entails different roles and responsibilities.
Leave A Comment